Reference works typically consist of brief selections of facts, data, or definitions, such as dictionaries. However, in today’s networked society, there are many other types of reference works online. We have provided here links to key online and print reference works to support Interior Design.
Databases, Directories, & Web Portals
- Art History Resources: This comprehensive Art History resource organizes links by civilization and then by subheadings, such as Prehistoric Art with Paleolithic, Mesolithic, and Neolithic Art subheadings. It proceeds through Ancient Near East, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Art in Early Europe, Art in the Middle Ages, into the Renaissance, and so on.
- Artcyclopedia: Artcyclopedia is a directory of links to museum quality artwork. It can be searched by artist name, by subject (for example landscapes), by movement (for example, Impressionism), as well as by medium and nationality.
- Cities & Buildings Database: The Cities and Buildings Database is a collection of digitized images of buildings and cities drawn from across time and throughout the world, available to students, researchers and educators on the web.
- City of Toronto Archives: Archives provides plans and history of Toronto buildings.
Dictionaries, Encyclopaedias, Thesaurus
- Art & Architecture Thesaurus: Learn about the purpose, scope and structure of the AAT. The AAT is an evolving vocabulary, growing and changing thanks to contributions from Getty projects and other institutions.
Open Access Journals & Ebooks
The following resources are open access free resources. The Open Access movement champions free, authoritative resources for academic achievement. Even though there are now high-quality resources available in Open-Access, you must always be critical in the assessment of any resource.
- Oapen (Arts): Oapen provides access to many different open access ebooks, including Architecture, Art Forms, Commercial art & Design.
Online & Print Magazines
Magazines (or online websites with specific Interior Design themes) are provided here for review. Online resources may not be peer-reviewed, but are an excellent source of news in your field of study. Also note, some of the following journals and periodicals are also available in print at the Steeles Campus library
- Journal of Interior Design IMPORTANT: To access full articles from the Journal of Interior Design from the past 4 years, use this link to go Wiley’s Online Library. Please note we do not have access to the full Wiley Library just the Journal of Interior Design so when putting in your search terms do not change the box that says In this Journal.
*Flipster: The RCC Library is now offering access to Flipster. Flipster is an EBSCO product that provides access to magazine content as it appears in the print version. You’ll be able to access magazines with all of the content, such as pictures, included in the online version. We currently subscribe to the following on Flipster: American Cinematographer, Architectural Digest, Cinema Scope, Discover, Dwell, Interior, Newsweek Global, Popular Science, Robot, Wallpaper, The Walrus, and Writers Digest.*
- Architectural Digest: Online resource for decorating and renovation.
- Award Magazine: For 28 years Award has been serving the needs of Canadian architects, interior designers, specification writers, builders, and developers, general contractors, consulting engineers, landscape architects and city/municipal planners.
- Azure: … is an award-winning magazine with a focus on contemporary architecture and design. Since its launch in 1985, it has earned a global reputation for excellence. Its international perspective and multidisciplinary coverage – which puts architecture, interiors, products, landscapes and urbanism together in a real-world scenario – make it distinct from any other publication available on newsstands.
- Canadian Architect: Canadian Architect is a magazine for architects and related professionals practicing in Canada. Canada’s only monthly design publication, Canadian Architect has been in continuous publication since 1955”
- Canadian House & Home: We are a premiere design, decorating and lifestyle brand that takes you inside the most unique and beautiful homes in North America and abroad. House & Home magazine is published by Lynda Reeves and edited by Suzanne Dimma, two of Canada’s most popular style authorities.
- Canadian Interiors: Canadian Interiors is Canada’s leading magazine targeted at interior design professionals. Since its launch in 1964, the magazine is a must read for Canadian interior designers.
- Dezeen: Brings a carefully edited selection of the best architecture, design and interiors projects from around the world.
- Dwell Magazine: Modern architecture and design for real people.
- Hospitality Design: “Hospitality Design (HD) magazine, published 10 times a year, is the premier trade magazine serving the field of hospitality design. It connects owners, operators, purchasing agents, designers, and architects involved in the design of hotels, resorts, restaurants, cruise ships, nightclubs/lounges, spas, and all other hospitality-oriented projects. HD continues its 30-plus-year mission to publish the accomplishments of various design teams that collaborate to bring the most innovative examples of new construction and renovation to the industry.”
- Interior Design: the definitive resource for interior designers, architects, and other design professionals, featuring groundbreaking projects, innovative new products, real-time design industry news, exclusive in-depth research, and more.
- Metropolis: Uniquely positioned at the convergence of architecture, design and culture, Metropolis powers your business with the collective strength of our award-winning print magazine; digital, social and mobile channels; global network of journalists and critics; and our highly engaged, loyal audience.
- Morfae Find news and other information about modern art, architecture, fashion, design, and interior decorating. Includes pictures, descriptions, and background information about artistic creations.
- SABmag: Sustainable Architecture & Building [SABMag],ecoHouse, and the SAB Canadian Green Building Awards together represent one of the most significant sources of sustainable design information, practices and related products from the Canadian perspective.
- World of Interiors: THE WORLD OF INTERIORS brings together the broadest spectrum of homes, art features and product shoots, with editorial of the highest integrity, produced to the highest specifications.