Psychology Reference Resources
The Internet can be a challenging resource to navigate…there are many resources and not enough time to properly review them. We have provided here a list of online reference sources to assist you in finding authoritative online academic information.
- BPS Research Digest: This is the official blog of the British Psychological Society covering topics of brain research and behaviour.
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) Beck Institute: An evidence-based blog relating research and current developments in CBT.
- PsycCRITIQUES Blog: This blog provides available critiques of Psychology Books, Film and Video.
- World of Psychology, PSYC Central: A popular blog on psychology topics from Psych Central website.
Dictionaries, Glossaries & Encyclopedias
- APA Glossary of Terms: From Gerrig, Richard J. & Philip G. Zimbardo. Psychology And Life, 16/e. Published by Allyn and Bacon, Boston, MA. Copyright (c) 2002 by Pearson Education. Reprinted by permission of the publisher.
- NIMH Booklets: The National Institute of Mental Health publishes brief “booklets” on specific topics. Although this is not a specific dictionary or encyclopedia, this site does provide a valuable set of brief, authoritative reference information that can be integrated into your project work.
Directories And Portals
- Mental Health & Psychology Resources: This site provides a web portal to an array of psychology resources, including support groups, definitions, and online articles.
- PubPsych: PubPsychprovides records on psychological literature, tests, research data and treatment programs from European and American scientific information producers.
- Monitor on Psychology: An APA publication that provides the latest news and developments in the field of psychology.
Tools & Social Media
- Android Addiction Recovery Apps: “One of the benefits of evolving technology is that it means improved options for almost every aspect of life. These new inventions can mean that people improved convenience and completely new approaches to old problems. Those individuals who are recovering from an addiction will find that modern technology has a great deal to offer them.”
- PsychologyTools: Set up in 2008 by Dr Matthew Whalley, a Clinical Psychologist working in the UK, as a way to develop and share materials useful to psychological therapists.
Open Access Journals
Free Journals Online
The following websites, intended for education and research, provide access to numerous journals, articles, and resources through searchable databases. There is no cost associated with any of these but as they are third-party sites, we can provide only limited support.
- American Journal of Psychiatry: A reputable publisher, but with only limited access to free resources.
- Biomed Central: BioMed Central is a leading, peer-reviewed, open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research.
- Classics in the History of Psychology: This is a free resource that provides HTML copies of important Psychological works in the public domain.
- ERIC Education Resources Information Centre: Although primarily focused on educational issues, there are full-text resources available free to access on counseling issues.
- Open Access Library: a database with full-text access to many different subjects (e.g., social sciences, humanities, sciences, etc.)
- PMC Full-Text Archive: Access to PubMed is free, and there are many full-text options.
- Royal Society: Although there is an emphasis on physical and biological sciences, the society has provided full access to its journals, which sometimes overlap into psychology.
- T-Space, University of Toronto: This database showcases scholarly work from the University of Toronto. You will find a variety of resources, such as journals and theses.
Open Access eBooks
The Internet is fast providing a wealth of ebook access, including freely available sites. We will continue to post links to online books as we update our resources.
- Assayer: Largest catalogue of open sources textbooks. Also is a good place to find free books about math, science and computers.
- AU Press Athabasca: Athabasca University Press – free pdf and low cost print version of mainly Canadian books
- BCcampus OpenEd: BCcampus open movement including textbooks.
- College Open Textbooks: College Open Textbooks is a project of the COT Education, a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. Their mission is to drive awareness, adoption, and affordability of open textbooks.
- HathiTrust Digital Library – HathiTrust is a partnership of major research institutions and libraries and their “aim to build a comprehensive archive of published literature from around the world . It provides long-term preservation and access services for public domain and in copyright content from a variety of sources, including Google, the Internet Archive, Microsoft, and in-house partner institution initiatives.”
- InTech: Although more focused on technology and science, there are social sciences and humanities ebook options.
- Knowledge Unlatched: “The Knowledge Unlatched model depends on many libraries from around the world sharing the payment of a single Title Fee to a publisher, in return for a book being made available on a Creative Commons licence via OAPEN and HathiTrust as a fully downloadable PDF.”
- Merlot: Free and open resource designed primarily for higher education.
- The National Academies Press: Although mainly scientific in nature, there are a variety of ebooks on different subjects.
- National Science Library: Access to teaching and learning materials in the STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). Search by level, resource type, and subject.
- OAPEN: The OAPEN Library contains freely accessible academic books, mainly in the area of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- OER Commons: Worldwide learning network of shared teaching and learning materials.
- OpenStax College: Content Commons of free, open-licensed educational materials in fields such as music, electrical engineering and psychology.
- Open Textbook Library: One of the larger repositories of open textbooks. Includes selections from BCcampus, Calpoly and many more.
- OrangeGrove: Florida’s operational repository project of open source educational materials.University of Minnesota eText Books: An open resource of text books on all subjects, including business, psychology, and education.
- Saylor Free Education: Free to read versions of the texts at Flat World Knowledge
- SensePublishers: Open access books from Sense Publishers is a new initiative that allows authors and their funders to publish open access (OA) research monographs.
- SUNY Open Text books: A selection of growing academic resources in a variety of subjects, including forthcoming titles on Academic Writing.
- University of Minnesota eText Books: An open resource of text books on all subjects, including business, psychology, and education.
- Wikibooks: Wikimedia’s community for creating and sharing educational textbooks.
Classics In The History Of Psychology
This is a free resource that provides HTML copies of important Psychological works in the public domain.
- Directory of Open Access ebooks: Accessible ebooks online from around the Internet.
- BC campus Textbook Directory: Established open textbook and OER collections.
- Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources: Find sites that collect or search for open resources, including open textbooks, open courseware, and other OER.
- Textbook Revolution: “Textbook Revolution is a student-run site dedicated to increasing the use of free educational materials by teachers and professors. We want to get these materials into classrooms. On this site you’ll find links and reviews of textbooks and select educational resources.”
Works Of Freud
These are online sources providing HTML access to selected works of Freud. Although the sources linked here have been recommended by other librarians, you must always evaluate an online resource properly before use.
Although you may not be using information from these websites in your day to day research, it is vital that you become aware of professional associations. Professional associations help to set the policies, rules, and conditions under which you will practice and/or research; they provide an important link for inter-professional communication and knowledge sharing. They provide links to career opportunities, publishing and conference venues. Recommend additional association links to the Librarian.
- Canadian Psychological Association
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
- Ontario Association of Child and Youth Counsellors
- American Psychological Association
- American Counseling Association
- APA Graduate Students
- Asian American Psychological Association
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- Association for Black Psychologists
- Association for Psychological Science
- Association for Women in Psychology
- Association of Applied Sport Psychology
- Association of Psychology Post Doctoral and Internship Center
- California Psychological Association
- Midwestern Psychological Association
- National Association of School Psychologists
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology
Posted below are links to resources that provide access to dissertations online.
Special Search Engine
- EBSCO Open Dissertations: Created from a collaboration between EBSCO and BiblioLabs, EBSCO Open Dissertations is a new, free electronic theses and dissertations database offering access to more than 800,000 EDTs.
Other Sources of Dissertations
- Dissertation.com: source of inexpensive copies of dissertations.
- Eric: full-text education & school psychology dissertations are included in ERIC’s Advanced Search options.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations: international directory of full-text electronic dissertations.
- OhioLINK ETD Center: full-text dissertations from Ohio public universities.
- Open Access Theses & Dissertations: Access to free dissertations.
- Theses Canada Portal: full-text & Citation dissertations from Canadian public universities.
- T-Space, University of Toronto: This database showcases scholarly work from the University of Toronto. You will find a variety of resources, such as journals and theses.
Although our institution does not require the purchase of the DSM-5 (nor do we have an online accessible copy), it will be a topic for discussion and research in some of your courses. You can search our library for peer-reviewed journal articles including the term DSM-5. In addition, here are some links to DSM-5 information.
The focus of our Psychology program here at Yorkville University is to support your career in the field of Counselling. We have provided additional web links to specific counselling resources available for free online.
Career Counseling and Development
Marital and Family Therapy/Counseling
Panic and Anxiety
Sex and Gender
Trauma and Stress
Career Counselling And Development
- Canadian Education and Research Institute for Counselling: Advancing research and development in Career Counselling and Career Development.
- Career Development for Meaningful Life work: A brief Internet article on work and life satisfaction.
- Canadian Occupational Classification Database An official classification system, providing detailed definitions of careers, along with key employment requirements.
- Working in Canada A tool to assess career information across Canada.
- Youth Canada, Career Counselling A basic guide to helping youth with career decisions.
- Beginning Therapy With Clients: A Primer: A number of suggestions for counselors who are meeting a client for the first interview are provided in this article.
- Group Psychotherapy: A brief description of different types of Group Therapy.
- Guidelines on Multicultural Education, Training, Research, Practice, and Organizational Change for Psychologists: APA guidelines for multicultural concerns.
- 4 Questions for Psychology’s Obesity Expert : Yale University psychologist Kelly Brownell, PhD.
- Eating Disorder Referral and Information Center: Site provides information on all types of eating disorders and treatment resources.
Marital And Family Therapy/Counseling
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) is the primary association for the field of marriage and family therapy.
- Bowen Center for the Study of the Family: The home page for the Bowen Center for the Study of the Family includes descriptions and illustrations of the major tenets of Bowen family systems theory.
- The Family and Marriage Counseling Directory: therapist directory, as well as resources, articles and links to online counseling resources.
- All about Depression: For more than 10 years providing relevant information about clinical depression to the public.
- American Association of Suicidology: Site provides information and resources about suicide.
- Centre for Suicide Prevention: Providing information to individuals and organizations on the prevention of suicide.
Panic And Anxiety
- Answers to Your Questions About Panic Disorder: Article discusses the symptoms of a panic attack; and the causes, side effects, and treatment of panic disorder.
- Anxiety Network: Links to three different sites that offer information about social anxiety, generalized anxiety, and panic.
- OCD Center of Los Angeles: Site provides a brief description of obsessive compulsive disorders and descriptions of OCD spectrum disorders such as body dysmorphic disorders, hypochondriasis, phobias, social anxiety, and panic disorders. A suggested reading list and links to a number of related sites are also included.
- Social Phobia/Social Anxiety Association: This association provides a definition of social phobia, as well as practical examples of what it’s like to live with a social phobia or anxiety disorder. Treatment for these two disorders is also discussed.
- Borderline Personality Disorder Central: Site provides a description of the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of people who have Borderline Personality Disorder.
- Personality Project: personality psychology addresses the questions of shared human nature, individual differences and unique patterns of individuals.
- Personality Theories E-text designed for courses in personality theories, addressing psychoanalytic, behaviorist, and humanistic schools of thought, by Dr. C. George Boeree.
- Research Methods Database: This comprehensive web-based textbook discusses sampling, measurement, research design, data analysis, validity, reliability, and ethics, as well has how to develop a research question and write a research paper.
- APA Research Tools and Methods: APA recommendations on research resources.
Sex And Gender
- A New Generation of Issues for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transsexual Clients: A number of new issues are springing out in the LGBT community. Some of these issues stem from generation gaps, aging gay men, coming out, parenting, gender blending, and fluid identities.
- Applied and Interactive Theater Guide: Contains information and links concerning drama therapy.
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies: Includes information about journals, special interest groups, and ABCT membership.
Trauma And Stress
- Child Trauma Academy: Site provides a number of articles concerning many issues related to child abuse.
- Managing Traumatic Stress: Tips for Recovering From Disasters: Site provides a summary of what should be done and the issues that should be considered when people are recovering from disasters and other traumatic events.
Statistics & Data
In addition to peer-reviewed journals, another good source of information is mental health data collected by authoritative organizations, such as Statistics Canada, or the Canadian Institute for Health Information. In this section of the library, we have provided links to authoritative mental health data and reports.
- Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI): The most comprehensive single source of mental health data for Canada.
- The Health of Canada’s Young People: A Mental Health Focus (2011): “the Canadian hBSC report is part of the World health Organization’s collaborative crossnational study that we have been part of for more than 20 years. this research greatly increases our understanding of young people’s health, but also guides health education and health promotion policy and programs in Canada and in the more than 40 countries participating in the study.”
- Hospital Mental Health Services for Concurrent Mental Illness & Substance Use Disorder in Canada (2013): Recent pan-Canadian data on mental health diagnosis via Hospitalization visits.
- The Human Face of Mental Health and Mental Illness in Canada (2006): This report includes a general chapter on Mental Illness and chapters on Mood Disorders, Schizophrenia, Anxiety Disorders, Personality Disorders, Eating Disorders, and Suicidal Behaviour. New chapters have been added on mental health, problematic substance use, gambling, hospitalization, and Aboriginal people’s mental health and well-being.
- Statistics Canada, Mental Health & Well-Being: Information on mental well-being including self-esteem, stress, depression and mental disorders. Make sure to check the “publications” section.
- The Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR): ICPSR maintains a data archive of more than 500,000 files of research in the social sciences. It hosts 16 specialized collections of data in education, aging, criminal justice, substance abuse, terrorism, and other fields.
- US Mental Health Data, Fast Facts: This is a set of data reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on various mental health conditions.
this report includes a general chapter on Mental Illness and chapters on Mood Disorders, Schizophrenia, Anxiety Disorders, Personality Disorders, Eating Disorders, and Suicidal Behaviour. New chapters have been added on mental health, problematic substance use, gambling, hospitalization, and Aboriginal people’s mental health and well-being.
Evidence Based Practice
Evidence Based Practice
Evidence based practice is a movement within psychology and education to identify, disseminate, and promote the use of practices with demonstrated empirical support. As providing the best evidence in decision making is vitally important, we have provided some web links to help contextualize, explain, and support Evidence Based Practice in your studies and career.
- Implementation Researchers: An article describing the training of individuals for knowledge transfer activities within mental health research.
Definition & Methodology
Tests & Measures
The following section provides advice for identifying Psychological Tests & Measures.
These are not intended to provide full access, but only to provide you
with options for identifying specific types of assessments for review in
- APA Finding Information About Psychological Tests: Answers to frequently asked questions are provided below and are divided into three topic areas: published psychological tests, unpublished psychological tests and additional information on the proper use of tests.
- ATP Assessments: produces some of the most popular psychological and educational tests used by professionals involved in special education and learning differences in the K-12 school system, as well as those who serve adult populations.
- Buros Center for Testing: They function as the world’s premier test review center, as well as a provider of outreach efforts related to our mission to improve testing, assessment, and measurement practices through consultation and education, with special emphases in psychology and education.
- CPP: best known for the Myers-Briggs®assessment, is a leading provider of people development solutions for corporate, government, and educational organizations.
- Data Recognition Corporation: a variety of assessment tools, surveys, etc.
- EDITS: They are committed to developing valid, reliable, and useful tools to increase self-awareness and promote educational opportunities to provide a strong foundation for personal and professional growth.
- HMH Assessments: Educational tests.
- Hogrefe: Hogrefe Publishing’s core publications include: a range of high-quality scientific journals in the fields of psychology, assessment, and psychiatry; reference works and manuals for practicing psychiatrists, psychologists, pharmacists, and counselors, including the award-winning Clinical Handbook of Psychotropic Drugs; as well as texts and teaching resources for faculty and students. As part of the Hogrefe Publishing Group we also distribute selected assessment tools, including the Rorschach® Test.
- HRD Press: For over 40 years Human Resource Development Press has been serving our customers by providing training and human resources personnel the products and services required to develop your most important asset – your employees
- MHS Assessments: A leading publisher of scientifically validated assessments for more than 30 years, Multi-Health Systems Inc. (MHS) serves clients in educational, clinical, corporate, public safety, government, military, pharmaceutical, and research settings. MHS has grown to become an international company with products sold in more than 75 countries and translated into over 50 languages. With offices in North America and partners around the world, MHS is dedicated to strong product growth, an optimal user experience, and being digitally and globally driven.
- PAR: PAR is a leading publisher of assessment instruments, software, books, and other related resources specifically developed to meet the needs of professionals in psychology, personality/counseling, neuropsychology, education, business and industry, forensics, human resources, and career counseling.
- Pearson Assessments: We provide a wide range of assessments and related services for a variety of education settings and purposes. In the U.S., thousands of employees collaborate on assessments, including educators, research scientists, content specialists, and technology experts
- ProEd: Behaviour and learning disabilities.
- Ramsay Corporation: They have developed diagnostic and selection tests and performance assignments for operators, technicians, and maintenance groups. Their assessments have included attitudes, knowledge, management skills, and team membership qualities. They have measured basic skills for entire staffs of manufacturing facilities.
- Test Collection at ETS: Select the “Search the Test Link Database” for identifying types of tests and measures. Summaries are provided of the tests and measures being searched.
- WPS: is a leading independent publisher of educational and psychological assessments and related intervention resources. With more than 70 years of experience, we’ve built a global reputation as assessment experts in the areas of autism, speech and language, school psychology, and occupational therapy.