- Library Services: Many individuals will actually believe that they are disturbing me by asking questions. That could not be further from the truth. The more questions you ask, the better. Although it is important to learn skills to become an independent researcher, and an independent thinker, it is also important to ask plenty of questions, especially given some of the very tight deadlines for projects in our programme. We can connect via email, telephone, skype (video or chat). You will find the library orientation to be useful in gaining the basics, so be sure to review that presentation which is located on the homepage of your syllabus.
- Database Options: Although YU provides the foundational databases for success in the programme, it does not mean that we will have a lot of research on any topic that you may feel is important, or interesting. Even though you need to be exhaustive in your search process, you need to acknowledge that our databases ‘may’ not have what you want for research. That is where identifying resources close to your location is additionally beneficial, such as local public and academic libraries. Here is a presentation…an older one…that will help with finding resources: Finding Full-Text.
- Boolean Searching: As a refresher, you should consider reviewing this Boolean searching tutorial. Boolean searching is the basis for efficiency in databases. Boolean Searching.
- Searching Strategies: Taking Boolean searching to the next level, you develop a search strategy based on your topic. This tutorial from Monash University provides a good primer for understanding best strategies for searching databases on any particular topic. Advanced Searching Strategies
- EBSCOProvider of research databases, e-journals, magazine subscriptions, ebooks and discovery services & ProQuestTool to find scholarly journals, books, video, audio, newspapers, and more. database: Familiarizing yourself with EBSCOProvider of research databases, e-journals, magazine subscriptions, ebooks and discovery services and ProQuestTool to find scholarly journals, books, video, audio, newspapers, and more. search engines. ProQuestTool to find scholarly journals, books, video, audio, newspapers, and more. and EBSCOProvider of research databases, e-journals, magazine subscriptions, ebooks and discovery services.
« Back to Library EncyclopediaLast updated December 8, 2020